Bollywood glamour girl Tanushree opts for new image:'Rama the Saviour'
Bollywood actress Tanushree Dutta has broken out of her “screen siren” mould in her latest movie, Saas Bahu Aur Sensex.
Directed by Canadian filmmaker Shona Urvashi, the movie — which opened in South Africa on Friday — is a comedy drama set against the backdrop of the Mumbai stock market.
Dutta, 23, who made her screen debut three years ago, told the Sunday Times Extra that while producers liked her “freshness”, she was often cast in glamour roles.
“I was slotted into a particular genre because they felt I could not act beyond looking glamourous on screen. It was a mild way of saying I was incompetent of performing more serious and intense roles.
“But now I’ve proven them wrong. I’ve come a long way since then, and this is not a role where I can show off my glam quotient at all,” said Dutta, whose previous films include Chocolate: Deep Dark Secrets, Raqeeb and Good Boy, Bad Boy.
In Saas Bahu Aur Sensex, she plays Nitya Sen, a young woman who abandons her ambition of studying for an MBA in the United States after her parents’ divorce.
She accompanies her mother — who becomes involved in the stock market — to Mumbai to start a new life. There they develop their relationship and personal goals.
“The film highlights how women are investing in the stock market. India is a growing economy, the stock market is booming and nothing stops woman from taking this up as a vocation.”
The former Miss India will also be the first Bollywood actress to play a superhero in the forthcoming children’s film Rama the Saviour.
“It’s a first of its kind in India where a woman plays an action hero. A lot of movie makers investing in children’s films, which is a growing trend in India.”
Dutta said that her string of beauty titles “helped me step into the glitz and glamour of Bollywood”.
“When I won the Miss India pageant, Bollywood opened up for me. The whole experience was wonderful, and I returned a more confident person, which helped me a lot in the film industry.”
|
|
No comments:
Post a Comment