Wednesday 29 April 2009

Hema Malini "Baby"







Hema Malini "Baby"

Hema  busy on  the campaign  trail  catches her breath to remember  Feroz Khan with  much warmth and joy.

"He   was  the  first and  last  man  who called me 'Baby'. No one has ever dared.  I  wish they would.  What  a  suave  man he  was.  When I agreed  to do Dharmatma he  made it very clear  I was  there in the first-half only.  He  said, 'You can't say no, Baby!' That was  a new  experience for  me. My mother was more  shocked than I  was. With  everyone addressing me  as  'ji' it  feels nice  if  someone comes  up with  a term  of  endearment.  Earlier  this  week  I  was  in Darjeeling   campaigning when  someone from  the  crowd shouted   out 'Hemu'  and  disappeared  into  the mountains.  I  felt good because that's what  my  near and dear ones call me."    

   Feroz  calling Hema  'Baby'  was not the only  change  that Feroz Khan  brought  . "He  decided to  take on the challenge  of making me  look more glamorous and sensuous than ever before.  That  was a  tough job because I was constantly fighting to  cover myself up  more than those costumes  by Parmeshwar Godrej allowed.  I don't think I've  ever  used so  many  safety pins in  my entire lifetime.He wanted  me to be as  uninhibited as  today's heroines. That  wasn't  possible for  me."

Hema  shot in Afghanistan for  Feroz Khan's Dharmatma. "I don't think any film unit had gone there before. It  was a memorable experience. And we really had  to rough it out. It was freezing cold in  Kabul. We had to   stay  in tents. In the evenings we'd all sit together and prepare for  next day's scenes. Otherwise after shooting I always kept to  myself.  But he  persuaded   not  just me  but also my mother to  join the unit in the evening. 'Come on, Mom. Join us.' My mother was taken aback. We're basically very shy people. But he'd make her part of the discussions. That's the way  to make   films.  One gets  so   charged and enthusiastic. I wish Feroz Khan and I  had  done more  films together."










No comments:

Post a Comment